The strappo technique

I often go to art galleries in major cities when I'm there because I feel like I'll be missing out if I don't, but the Museo del Prado is one I felt genuinely excited to see as I recognized a lot of the names from Spanish studies.

I usually feel lukewarm about seeing pieces of art created by famous artist when I've already seen photographs, but being at the Prado convinced me that there is definitely something affecting about seeing art in person.

I particularly enjoyed seeing Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes's Black Paintings, pieces he painted on the walls of his home at the end of his life, likely between 1820 and 1823, after he had lost much of his ability to hear. After he died, the paintings were transferred to canvas using the strappo technique, a fact I learned at the Prado. I haven't done a lot of research into it, but from what I can tell it involves literally ripping the painted layer off the wall with glue and cheesecloth--slowly of course--but geeze. In many cases, this technique is no longer used at all, unless the work will be lost altogether if left in place, as strappo can damage or alter the work. Many of Goya's Black Paintings were altered or touched up by other artists and some were cut down in size.

Nonetheless, they were incredible. Here are two of my favourites.



While I spent a lot of time in the room dedicated to the Black Paintings, I was drawn back repeatedly to a piece by Flemish painter Hieronymus Bosch, known in Spain as el Bosco. The Prado has a number of his works, but the Garden of Earthly Delights, painted on a triptych, likely between 1490 and 1500, is the most spectacular.


For whatever reason, my favourite part of the piece is the top of the right hand panel--the depths of hell. The colours don't really come through in the photo, but you get some of the idea.

After the Prado, I went to a view point. All in all, a good day.


Comments

Popular Posts