Days 3, 4 and 5

The last three days have been hard. I thought day 3 was tough on my body until I got to day 4, which was a haze of one painful foot in front of the other. I do have a few blisters now and my hip started acting up day 3. The man who gave me a blessing on day 2 also blessed my hip, but I get blessings can only get you so far. Or maybe I'll need it more later.

Here are three highlights.

On day 3, I walked across the fields by myself in the early morning before the sun came up and I cried--to be here and alive.

Yesterday, I drank from a wine fountain along the route, following the tradition of Benedictine monks, according to the sign.

I've been traveling with a new friend, Laura, and because we like to punish ourselves, we walked an extra 4 km (2 each way) to get to a ruined castle on the hill top above Villamayor, where we stayed last night. The views were worth it. I didn't take a photo of the sign explaining the castle, but I think it was built before 1500.

I only did 19 km today, and a little extra time to rest will be good for me.




The top of el Alto de Perdon or the Hill of Forgiveness. 

A bridge built in the 11th century. Part of the pilgrimage trail. 

The wine fountain.



The view from the castle. 

Laura and I at the top. 



Day 3

Day 4

Day 5






Comments

Popular Posts