Day 2

I have started to develop little red dots all over the sides of my feet. They don't hurt more than the rest of my feet, but they look angry. The internet is not being very helpful about what they might be, but my mum says they are likely heat rash. We will see how they develop. I've also got bruises forming on the upper parts of my glutes from the pack.

It was tough to get up at 6 this morning. No Dutch albergue owners walking around the dorm telling us to get out of bed this time. Before heading out, I ripped relevant pages out of my guide to Spain and left the book in the albergue. It hurt me to think about it, but ripping got easier after the first page.

I walked about 22 km, maybe more, I'm not sure. Over 31,000 steps. I thought my feet would hurt more than they did in the morning, but it was really my ankles and shins that caused me trouble. Although the morning was beautiful, we spent a fair bit of time walking through Pamplona, which meant a lot of pavement. Hard on the feet. I walked with two folks I met yesterday most of the way.

In Pamplona, one of my travelling companions had to head off as he only had time for 3 days of the Camino. Before parting ways, he gave me what he called a father's blessing, praying for my safe journey and arrival and that I may find a good way throughout the rest of my life. There was some more explicit religious language in there, and although I likely won't be making my heart soft to God's presence when I reach Santiago, I was grateful for the blessing.

We are staying at a beautiful albergue run by a lovely woman named Maribel. When we arrived, she said we could shower before paying and offered to look at and fix our feet. We've got a big climb tomorrow, and I hope only that getting up tomorrow will be easier than today.


This and the next two photos are of Pamplona.




Comments

Popular Posts